Duck Legs Fondant with Root Vegetables
- Preparation : 30 minutes
- Cooking : 240 minutes
- Portions : 4
- 4 Brome Lake duck legs
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Curry powder
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into quarters
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 570 g (1 ¼ lb) rutabaga or celeriac, peeled and quartered
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 500 ml (2 cups) white potatoes, thoroughly washed and cut into large cubes
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) tomato paste (garlic flavoured, if possible)
- 375 ml (1 ½ cup) duck stock or chicken stock
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine
Rinse the ducks thoroughly, then pat dry with paper towels. Using a sharp knife, trim the excess skin from the legs. Season with salt, pepper and curry powder.
Fill the bottom of a large, high-rimmed baking dish with the six vegetables.
Add the duck legs without overlapping, then season to taste with salt, pepper and curry powder. Set aside.
Mix the tomato paste into the duck stock, reheating it in the microwave at 45-second intervals. Mix a few times. Pour the duck stock and the wine into the dish.
Cover and cook for 4 hours in the oven preheated to 165 °C (325 °F). Cook in the slow cooker for 4 hours at medium temperature.
Let stand 20 minutes before serving with cucumber and tomato salad.
Recipe developed by Nicolas Vallée, professional chef