European duck sausage sandwiches with grilled onion
- Preparation : 20 minutes
- Cooking : 30 minutes
- Portions : 8
- 8 Brome Lake duck sausages of your choice (sundried tomatoes and garlic or cranberry orange)
- 1 large red onion, unpeeled and cut in half
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- 8 Whole wheat European breads (hot dog type).
- Slices of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland
- Honey or yellow mustard
- Small sweet pickles (“gherkins”) cut in half lengthways
- Marinated eggplant (regular or spicy)
Preheat barbecue to medium heat.
Place the onions, previously sprayed with oil, on the grill. Season with salt and pepper. Cook about twenty minutes, turning them frequently. The onion is ready when it is just tender but still slightly crisp. Remove the two pieces of onion from the grill and let stand 10 minutes before removing the skin and slicing them thinly.
Meanwhile, grill the duck sausages 8-10 minutes, turning them a few times.
When they are almost cooked, toast the bread and place slices of Swiss cheese on the sausage.
Remove food from the grill and put a sausage in each bun. Garnish with your choice of mustard, coleslaw, half pickles, grilled onions and marinated eggplant.
- Serve with a green salad and chips.