Duck Roast with Paprika and Grilled Vegetables
- Preparation : 30 minutes
- Cooking : 120 minutes
- Portions : 4 to 6
- 1 Brome Lake Ducks 1-kg frozen boneless duck breast roast with herbs
- Hungarian and smoked paprika
- 3 to 4 turnips, washed thoroughly and cut into 4
- 4 to 6 medium carrots, washed
- 750 ml (3 cups) large pieces of squash (musky, acorn, etc.) of your choice
- 750 g (1½ lb.) small multicoloured potatoes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) duck fat or melted butter
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 165 °C (325 °F). Remove the frozen duck roast from the bag, keeping the netting intact, and place in a large baking dish. Sprinkle generously with Hungarian and smoked paprika, then bake for about 2 hours, spooning the cooking juices over top throughout cooking. Do not cover during cooking.
Place all the vegetables in a large bowl and pour the melted duck fat over. Mix and set aside.
After the first hour of cooking, remove the roast from the oven and pour the cooking juices over the vegetable pieces. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste and mix them in the bowl before spreading them around the roast. Return the roast to the oven and continue cooking for 1 hour.
The roast is ready when a thermometer inserted into the roast reads 65 °C to 68 °C (149 °F to 154 °F).
Remove the roast from the oven and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes covered loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil.
Remove the netting and carefully slice the roast. Arrange the slices on a serving platter and season with a little paprika. Garnish the roast with the grilled vegetables and serve immediately.