Indian Duck Roast
- Preparation : 20 minutes
- Cooking : 150 minutes
- Portions : 4
- 1 whole duck from Brome Lake Ducks
- 12 to 15 baby potatoes, halved
- 6 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, quartered
For the marinade:
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) melted duck fat
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cider vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) garam masala
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped garlic
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped ginger
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chili powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
- 10 ml (2 tsp) cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground green cardamom
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) cinnamon
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
Rinse the duck then dab it with paper towel. Baste the duck with the marinade then put in a roasting pan, breast-side up. Let it marinate for 2 to 8 hours in the fridge, uncovered.
Remove the duck from the fridge 20 to 30 minutes prior to cooking.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
Place the baby potatoes, carrots and onions around the duck and cover the pan with aluminum foil. Cook in the oven for 2 hours.
Remove the aluminum foil, stir the vegetables and baste the duck with the cooking juices. Continue cooking for 30 minutes, until the internal temperature of the duck reaches 82 °C (180 °F) on a meat thermometer.