Vietnamese-style Duck Pho soup
- Preparation : 20 minutes
- Cooking : 90 minutes
- Portions : 4
- 600 g (4 packages) Brome Lake duck for Chinese fondue
- 1 lemon
- 13 g (1 tbsp.) chopped ginger
- 1 white onion
- 250 g rice noodles
- 1 ml (1 tsp.) salt
- 1 L (4 cups) water
- 900 ml (3 packages) Brome Lake duck stock
- 56 g dried mushrooms, forest mix
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 star anise seeds
- 15 coriander seeds
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Chinese five-spice mix
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 6 g (2 tbsp.) chopped chives
- 3 g (1 tbsp.) chopped cilantro
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) Fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1 shallot, sliced diagonally
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) soy sauce
Slice the white onion into rings and marinate in lemon juice with chopped ginger. Marinate for 1 hour.
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and cook the rice noodles 3 to 5 minutes. When they are cooked, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Rehydrate the dried mushrooms in warm water and set aside.
In a pot, add the water, duck stock, cloves, star anise, Chinese five-spice, coriander seeds and lemon grass.* Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 15 more minutes.
In 4 bowls, place the noodles first, then add the duck meat, onions, mushrooms, chives, cilantro and shallot. Add the hot broth, wait a minute and serve.
* Add a Thai chili, if desired.
Recipe developed by David Vinas, professional chef