Pulled Duck with Root Vegetables
- Preparation : 25 minutes
- Cooking : 360 minutes
- Portions : 8-10
- 6 Brome Lake duck breasts
- 250 ml (1 cup) BBQ sauce of your choice
- 250 ml (1 cup) tomato sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) liquid smoke
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) molasses
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6-8 cups root vegetables, peeled and cut into large pieces (carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, salsify, etc.)
- Dry Rub for Duck (See Accompaniment)
Preheat the oven to 275° F (135° C). In a medium-sized bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, tomato sauce, liquid smoke, molasses and garlic. Set the sauce aside.
Remove the skin from three of the duck breasts. Arrange them side by side in an ovenproof dish. With your hands, cover them with dry rub for duck, then place the other three duck breasts with the skin (skin-side up) on top, and coat the latter with the dry rub.
Add the sauce and cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Cook the breasts in the oven for 3 hours.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and place the root vegetables around the duck breasts. Cover and continue cooking for another 2 hours.
Once cooking is complete, turn off the oven and leave the baking dish inside for 1 hour, with the oven door slightly ajar.
Take the baking dish out of the oven and remove the remaining skin from the breasts. Shred the duck meat and serve immediately on a large plate with the root vegetables and the cooking sauce, adding some water to the sauce to dilute it.
Serve with buns and coleslaw.
Dry Rub for Duck
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) flavoured sea salt
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic powder
- 10 ml (2 tsp) powdered ginger
- 5 ml (1 tsp) smoked or Hungarian paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) caraway seeds
Put all the ingredients in an airtight container, close and shake well. Store in a dry place.
Recipe developed by Nicolas Vallée, professional chef